Author Topic: Good news, bad news  (Read 4965 times)

Offline Kirsten

• Administrator
  • Have a flufftastic day!
  • Mood: Okay
  • SDC interest: owner-trainer
Good news, bad news
« on: September 20, 2012, 11:09:15 AM »
First, the bad news.  The Open Enterprise software was a bust.  There goes my supposedly easy install.  I'm back to doing it all by hand.

Good news:  I've got my testing software up and running on my laptop.  I've got the core site software up and running.  Now I start the time consuming task of cobbling together individual modules to do all the things that we need for our community.  I'll keep you posted.

Remember our ultimate goal:  one site all running under one piece of software.  Members can cooperatively author articles similar to how it works on Wikipedia, members can choose to have individual blogs, similar to how it works on WordPress, articles and FAQs that we already have on the front end, and a Community Forum.  All with a single log in.
Kirsten and Tardis
In loving memory of Cole (1/11/99 - 6/26/12)  He gave me back my life.

"The one absolute, unselfish friend that man can have in this selfish world -- the one that never proves ungrateful or treacherous -- is his dog." -George G. Vest

Offline Kirsten

• Administrator
  • Have a flufftastic day!
  • Mood: Okay
  • SDC interest: owner-trainer
Re: Good news, bad news
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2012, 12:47:17 PM »
Test forum is running (categories and posts are working), and that annoying double title thing from last time is fixed.  Signatures are up and running.  Still working on profiles.

Helpful buttons included:
Sort -- allows you to decide whether you want the most recent post at the top or the bottom.
Active Topics -- allows you to ask for a list of active topics across the forum, or within a specific category
Unanswered Topics -- allows you to ask for a list of topics that have no replies.  Make sure questions get answered and new members welcomed.  :wink:
New and Updated Topics -- allows you to ask for a list of new and updated topics either across the forum, or within specific categories.
View new forum posts
Mark all as read

There's also a "recent content" button that gives you a list of anything new added to the site, including new articles, new blog entries, new posts, new polls, etc.

Yes, there are member blogs, but I haven't started configuring them yet.

You also have an opportunity to write a little bio about yourself that shows up on your profile.

Click on someone's profile, and it offers you a link to their most recent blog posts.  I'll be working on supporting external blogs as well, but this might only be through a blogroll and signatures.

Oh, the header is a rich dark plum.  Text is a DARK teal green.  There were objections to the light color of the current text on the front end of the site.

So far, I am very pleased.
Kirsten and Tardis
In loving memory of Cole (1/11/99 - 6/26/12)  He gave me back my life.

"The one absolute, unselfish friend that man can have in this selfish world -- the one that never proves ungrateful or treacherous -- is his dog." -George G. Vest