Author Topic: Zinc toxosis in dogs (danger from dog swallowing pennies)  (Read 9530 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Kirsten

  • Administrator
  • *****
  • Posts: 39437
  • Have a flufftastic day!
  • Location: Missouri, USA
  • Mood: Okay
  • SDC interest: owner-trainer
Zinc toxosis in dogs (danger from dog swallowing pennies)
« on: September 10, 2012, 03:29:43 PM »
Zinc is toxic to dogs.  It can make them very sick and it can kill them.  Zinc can be found in many common every day items, including pennies, batteries, automotive parts, paints, herbal supplements, screws and nuts on pet carriers, metal board game pieces, nuts, bolts, staples, zippers, jewelry, galvanized metal and zinc containing ointments.  Puppies and young dogs are more prone to ingesting these items than are adult dogs. 

Pennies minted after 1982 are the most common cause of zinc toxosis in dogs.  "Some pennies minted during 1983, and all pennies minted since, are 97.5% zinc by weight."  (Merck Veterinary Manual)

Quote
It is common for pets, especially dogs, to ingest coins. Among the circulating U.S. coins, only pennies
pose a toxicity hazard. Pennies minted after 1982 contain a zinc core surrounded by copper plating. Each
penny contains about 2,440 mg of elemental zinc. Subacute or chronic zinc toxicosis can affect the renal,
hepatic, gastrointestinal, and hematopoietic tissues. Zinc toxicosis can cause hemolytic anemia, which
can lead to hemoglobinemia and hemogloburinia. Because of these severe effects, consider all penny
ingestions potentially dangerous, and treat each case aggressively.
http://www.aspcapro.org/mydocuments/zp-toxbrief_0202.pdf

Clinical signs vary based on the duration and degree of exposure. Signs progress from anorexia and vomiting to more advanced symptoms such as diarrhea, lethargy, icterus, shock, intravascular hemolysis, hemoglobinuria, cardiac arrhythmias, and seizures. Large animals often show decreases in weight gain and milk production, and lameness has been reported in foals secondary to epiphyseal swelling.

Symptoms may include:
lethargy
depression
loss of appetite
vomiting
diarrhea
pale gums
shock
increased urine production
excessive thirst and drinking
jaundice (yellowing of skin or the whites of the eyes)
red urine
abdominal pain
seizures

If you see your dog ingest a penny it may be possible to retrieve the penny before any harm is done by inducing vomiting.  Discuss with your vet how to do this safely at home.  Make note of his instructions and keep them in a handy place with other emergency vet instructions.  If it is uncertain whether a penny has been ingested, an x-ray can determine whether coins are present.

Do not allow your dog to pick up pennies, not in play, and not on command.  As few as 1-3 pennies can result in toxosis in dogs.  No penny is worth it.

Additional reading:
http://www.aspcapro.org/mydocuments/zp-toxbrief_0202.pdf
http://vetmedicine.about.com/od/toxicology/a/Zinc-Toxicosis-In-Dogs-And-Cats.htm
http://www.petplace.com/dogs/zinc-toxicity-in-dogs/page1.aspx
http://www.merckvetmanual.com/mvm/index.jsp?cfile=htm/bc/214100.htm
Kirsten and Tardis
In loving memory of Cole (1/11/99 - 6/26/12)  He gave me back my life.

"The one absolute, unselfish friend that man can have in this selfish world -- the one that never proves ungrateful or treacherous -- is his dog." -George G. Vest

Offline Spectrum

  • BANNED
  • *
  • Posts: 5389
  • It's smaller on the outside!
  • Location: USA
  • Mood: Tired
  • SDC interest: SD partner
Re: Zinc toxosis in dogs (danger from dog swallowing pennies)
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2012, 05:53:02 PM »
Some fireworks also contain large amounts of zinc. Logan chewed on a firework shortly after I got him but fortunately he didn't eat enough to cause a problem.
"Truth is singular. Lies are words, words, words." ~Madame Vastra
AKC/UKC PT'D Moxie's Adamantium Man RA RO1 CA HIC CGC TT, SD
Gavroche de la Rue RA RO1 CGC, ESA

Offline Magesteff

  • Eater of books
  • Old Timer
  • *****
  • Posts: 12008
  • I want to be a mysterious Woman...
  • Location: Palm Springs, FL, USA
  • Mood: Annoyed
  • SDC interest: waiting
Re: Zinc toxosis in dogs (danger from dog swallowing pennies)
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2012, 10:34:22 PM »
There are also some pennies from the WWII era that are zinc - durring the war years copper was something that was needed for war manufacturing.
Steffeny, with Hobbes. In memory of Spike (1989 ~ 12/14/2014) my little old gentleman, and Max (9/21/2006 ~ 6/2/2015).  Dog camp postponed until I am in a better situation.
FB:http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/Magesteff

Offline responsiblek9

  • Moderator
  • *****
  • Posts: 17856
  • Mood: Okay
  • SDC interest: SD partner
Re: Zinc toxosis in dogs (danger from dog swallowing pennies)
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2012, 11:08:19 PM »
 :trx: Yea I have a WHOLE bag of 100  zinc steelie pennies from the WWII era.
If you leave a current penny outside in the weather the copper veneer will erode off and it will look a lot like the WWII steelies. :paw:
A thousand miles you walked with me ,
 Through the fields and streams
  Down many a lonely place, On darkened  paths and streets

Offline BlindMag

  • Donna Summer
  • Old Timer
  • *****
  • Posts: 6335
  • Diva SD
  • Location: USA
  • Mood: Wired for sound
  • SDC interest: SD partner
Re: Zinc toxosis in dogs (danger from dog swallowing pennies)
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2012, 02:30:00 AM »
Can we make this a sticky?
"Winds may come and winds may blow none can cure Summer Fever." -DS