Author Topic: Home Cooking for your Dogs (For Beginners)  (Read 32798 times)

Offline Ilghaus

• "TJ"
  • Axel vom Riverhaus CGC "Karl" 01/10/01-03/29/13
  • Mood: Okay
  • SDC interest: owner-trainer
Re: Home Cooking for your Dogs (For Beginners)
« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2007, 11:55:50 AM »
I'll have to check on the particulars of tofu but I know it is okay to feed most dogs.

Dr. Clemmons, researcher & instructor with the Univ. of FL Vet School, has it on his menu for GSDs with DM.
Dr. Clemmons Link
I have a friend whose dog with DM did not do well on Dr. C's diet but of course we know that any menu is not the right one for all dogs. He puts tofu in this diet but meat is also included. But it might give you some info to think about.

I have also feed it to my 4 current dogs. I've tossed cubes of it in with their rice & veggie mixture when I didn't have a little bit of meat to toss in.

Here is a link to a site that might have some info for you to check out. Of course I don't know how reliable it is -- so read and follow with caution.

Link to possible info

I have a couple of places to get some good info but will not be able to get to them right away.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2007, 12:00:56 PM by Ilghaus »
TJ
Kaleb, Candidate Level. Born 12-19-2014
:tj:  :karl:

Offline Ilghaus

• "TJ"
  • Axel vom Riverhaus CGC "Karl" 01/10/01-03/29/13
  • Mood: Okay
  • SDC interest: owner-trainer
« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2007, 12:04:25 PM »
What about seitan or wheat gluten?  Can that be safely fed to dogs?

I'll have to check on these items. Off hand I do know that wheat gluten is on the ingredient listing of many dog foods but I don't know in what form or how much. I'll add these to my list to look into.
TJ
Kaleb, Candidate Level. Born 12-19-2014
:tj:  :karl:

Offline Edye

« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2007, 12:18:37 PM »
[color=blue]I started fixing my dogs food 6 months ago.  I have a girl with Diabetes and liver problems.  Looking on the Internet I found K9 nutrition on Yahoo groups. On that I learned to do 60% meat, 20% grain, 20% low glycemic veggies.
Last Vet visit all her labs were normal.  My other 2 have had their skin allergies clear up to. 
I'm not claiming to be an expert or any thing but my babies are better with out the preservatives and fillers in store dog feed.
Oh yes, I also give brewers yeast  and ground egg shells along with Fiber Sure in it.
The Fiber Sure helps with gas and loose stools.[/color] :trx: :trx: