Author Topic: My Ears Have A Wet Nose - Anne Wicklund  (Read 1689 times)

Offline Tameesha

• Owner Trainer
  • Board Moderator
  • Don't wait for tomorrow.
  • Mood: Vulcans have no moods
  • SDC interest: owner-trainer
My Ears Have A Wet Nose - Anne Wicklund
« on: July 19, 2012, 03:35:59 PM »
My Ears Have A Wet Nose: Acquiring, Training and Loving a Hearing Dog
Anne Wicklund
ISBN: 978-0-615-41514-7

Off the bat was not worth the $19.95 I paid for it.

Very basic, repetitive stories (like how the dog hits her husband in the chest when the husband isn't listening  :nono: and how the dog herds him away from people who own cats because he is allergic), common hearing-dog training steps that you can find on the internet.

I think the training steps could have been written better. The other "tips" and suggestions of registration/certification and the use of ID cards throughout the book have me on edge. I think she has a hidden agenda in promoting her business which appear at the beginning and end of the book. And guess what? They register SDs and sell IDs.  :headbang:

Sure there are a few humorous moments and first-hand experiences but 90% of this book was a waste of time to read for anyone with basic SD and dog care knowledge. It's very into that almost any dog can be your hearing SD.

I've learned more about training SDs from the Teamwork books and watching Youtube videos on how to train one-way and two-way alerts.

I do not recommend this book - especially if you have to pay over $4.00 to read it.  :downthumbs:
« Last Edit: July 19, 2012, 03:40:55 PM by Tameesha »
** Valorzen's Indy CGC NTD CA ITD RN CD CGCA CGCU SPOT-ON ** Valorzen's Scrappy NTD CA RATN CGC CGCA CGCU RATO SPOT-ON ** Emmett Von Skykeeper CA NTD RATI RATN CGC CGCA CGCU SPOT-ON ** Zodiac's Playing With Fire RATI RATN RATO **