Author Topic: Control Unleashed: The Puppy Program  (Read 2790 times)

Offline Kirsten

• Administrator
  • Have a flufftastic day!
  • Mood: Okay
  • SDC interest: owner-trainer
Control Unleashed: The Puppy Program
« on: June 19, 2012, 04:07:35 PM »
Control Unleashed:  The Puppy Program
by Leslie McDevitt, MLA, CDBC, CPDT
ISBN 978-1-892694-31-7

I have not finished this book, but wanted to comment on something I just read it in, because it ties in with our community's collective perspective on socialization of puppies intended for service work.  I figure, if it sparks discussion of this book, that's cool, even if I can't yet give a full review of the book (being only on page 40 of 289).

Here's the passage that made me prick my ears:
To me, socialization is about quality over quantity.  It is about teaching the puppy that appropriate social behaviors are self rewarding, and that it's fun to meet nice people and play with nice dogs and go to nice new places.  I am super protective of my puppies to make sure they get the best experiences possible regarding people, dogs, places, and things, especially during that all-important first three months of life.  Part of that is reading my puppy's body language and adjusting the social situation so that it works best for him to have a great experience.

Note:  This book will be the featured book for discussion in September on "DogRead."
http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/DogRead/

Each month, the staff at DogRead arrange month long discussions of a dog related book with that book's author!  It's your chance to discuss the book with others who are also reading or have read it, but better still, to ask the author those questions you've been dying to ask.  Check it out. 
Kirsten and Tardis
In loving memory of Cole (1/11/99 - 6/26/12)  He gave me back my life.

"The one absolute, unselfish friend that man can have in this selfish world -- the one that never proves ungrateful or treacherous -- is his dog." -George G. Vest

Offline Tameesha

• Owner Trainer
  • Board Moderator
  • Don't wait for tomorrow.
  • Mood: Vulcans have no moods
Re: Control Unleashed: The Puppy Program
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2012, 04:11:49 PM »
I bought it and haven't had a chance to read it yet. It's about 3 away on my list but now I'm thinking I should move it up! LOL

I just finished 2 hearing dog books and am starting on "Lend Me An Ear" then will be moving onto finishing a training book I got about 3/4 done then onto CU:PP and a guide dog training book after that. WHEW! Glad I'm taking the summer off of classes.
** Valorzen's Indy CGC NTD CA ITD RN CD CGCA CGCU SPOT-ON ** Valorzen's Scrappy NTD CA RATN CGC CGCA CGCU RATO SPOT-ON ** Emmett Von Skykeeper CA NTD RATI RATN CGC CGCA CGCU SPOT-ON ** Zodiac's Playing With Fire RATI RATN RATO **

Offline Tameesha

• Owner Trainer
  • Board Moderator
Re: Control Unleashed: The Puppy Program
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2012, 09:27:30 PM »
I'm starting to read it  :smile:

I wish the games had more videos I could watch. I think I would get the ideas faster.

I did find the authors Youtube with some videos. http://www.youtube.com/user/LeslieMcDevitt

So far the only game Indy knows from me reading the original book is "Look At That!"
« Last Edit: July 02, 2012, 09:32:10 PM by Tameesha »
** Valorzen's Indy CGC NTD CA ITD RN CD CGCA CGCU SPOT-ON ** Valorzen's Scrappy NTD CA RATN CGC CGCA CGCU RATO SPOT-ON ** Emmett Von Skykeeper CA NTD RATI RATN CGC CGCA CGCU SPOT-ON ** Zodiac's Playing With Fire RATI RATN RATO **

Offline Tameesha

• Owner Trainer
  • Board Moderator
Santa Does Exist
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2012, 07:03:07 PM »
I wish the games had more videos I could watch. I think I would get the ideas faster.

I wished it and poof I decided to look at the back of the new CU:PP book at the resources and there it was!! Two DVDs that were not in the first books resource section because the first book came out in 2007. They are also not listed on the authors website.

Control Unleashed: Foundation Seminar DVD by Leslie McDevitt, MLA, CDBC, CPDT (2009) Clean Run Productions, LLC

Control Unleashed: Game Demonstrations DVD by Leslie McDevitt, MLA, CDBC, CPDT (2010) Clean Run Productions, LLC

Squueeee!!! I ordered them last night along with the "Handler in training" t-shirt.  :biggrin:

http://www.cleanrun.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&Product_ID=1748&ParentCat=60
Control Unleashed: A Foundation Seminar
4-DVD Set
Running Time: 5 hours, 10 minutes

http://www.cleanrun.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&Product_ID=2357&ParentCat=60
Control Unleashed: Game Demonstrations
3-DVD Set
Running Time: 3 hours, 29 minutes

While they are expensive the running times are telling me they should be worth it. *hopes*
« Last Edit: July 04, 2012, 07:11:54 PM by Tameesha »