Author Topic: Chelsea: The Story Of A Signal Dog - Paul Ogden  (Read 3056 times)

Offline Tameesha

• Owner Trainer
  • Board Moderator
  • Don't wait for tomorrow.
  • Mood: Vulcans have no moods
  • SDC interest: owner-trainer
Chelsea: The Story Of A Signal Dog - Paul Ogden
« on: June 19, 2012, 03:56:33 PM »
Chelsea: The Story Of A Signal Dog
Paul Ogden
Copyright 1999

Paul Ogden, a deaf college professor, and his wife Anne, who is hard of hearing, discovered their "ears" in Chelsea, a beautiful, gentle Belgian sheepdog. Instead of herding sheep, like her ancestors, Chelsea works as a signal dog, helping the Ogdens live as normally as possible. She "tells" them if someone is at the door or on the phone, and wakes them when the alarm has gone off. She even reacts to the sound of strange voices and unusual noises.

I really enjoyed this book. It begins off talking about a dog named Lox who Paul had taught 12 commands to. It goes on from there through his progression of him and his wife gaining the help of a CCI Hearing (Signal) Dog.

From the main story to the mini-scenarios in the middle that play out it is a very good and entertaining book. One part was a section where he (Paul) is having a conversation with a student on campus who also has a hearing dog. The student became deaf in her teens and talks normally. This sets up many tough situations for her as people do not believe she is deaf. It was interesting to see both perspectives in one book.

Some of the things the book covers in the story is CCI boot camp, life at home, life in public, going to restaurants, going to the mall, camping outdoors, traveling on a airplane, and going to a wedding.

There was some mention of ID cards, backpacks, and such but that was common in the period the author was writing about (80s and 90s). A few things here and there concerned me and would not be accepted today such as a Skipperkee CCI Hearing Dog being protective of his partner, and a guide dog barking at Chelsea in a church.

Still a great and entertaining read over-all.  :doublethumbup: :popcorn:
« Last Edit: June 19, 2012, 04:01:51 PM by Tameesha »
** Valorzen's Indy CGC NTD CA ITD RN CD CGCA CGCU SPOT-ON ** Valorzen's Scrappy NTD CA RATN CGC CGCA CGCU RATO SPOT-ON ** Emmett Von Skykeeper CA NTD RATI RATN CGC CGCA CGCU SPOT-ON ** Zodiac's Playing With Fire RATI RATN RATO **

Offline Shiver

• Mood: Okay
  • SDC interest: waiting
Re: Chelsea: The Story Of A Signal Dog - Paul Ogden
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2012, 05:32:08 PM »
It sounds good. Just wondering is there much 'church and God' related things in there?

Going by how they named the dog and the barking in church thing I am wondering.

Offline Tameesha

• Owner Trainer
  • Board Moderator
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2012, 05:41:26 PM »
Nope. Chelsea was named by the breeder (Kaye Hall) and was in a "C" litter. 2 of her brothers also become SDs and have "C" names.

The church was one small piece out of a 170 page book. It talks about their daily lives and going to church happened to be one of the not positive situations that Paul was put in when the guide dog began barking at his signal dog.

It does not discuss religion/God.
** Valorzen's Indy CGC NTD CA ITD RN CD CGCA CGCU SPOT-ON ** Valorzen's Scrappy NTD CA RATN CGC CGCA CGCU RATO SPOT-ON ** Emmett Von Skykeeper CA NTD RATI RATN CGC CGCA CGCU SPOT-ON ** Zodiac's Playing With Fire RATI RATN RATO **

Offline Shiver

• Mood: Okay
  • SDC interest: waiting
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2012, 05:50:58 PM »
Thanks! Lol, I know it was an odd question but it makes a big difference for me in how much I enjoy a book.  I will order it today. thank you.

Offline Tameesha

• Owner Trainer
  • Board Moderator
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2012, 05:54:16 PM »
I'm not sure how much it cost to order it new but if it's under $15.00 I say go for it. You can find also find used ones shipped on Amazon for about $7.00.

I borrowed it from my local campus library for free.  :biggrin:

Happy reading!! and don't forget to add your review to this thread when you are finished if you don't mind.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2012, 05:55:52 PM by Tameesha »