Author Topic: Advice for new puppy owners  (Read 14665 times)

Offline Kirsten

• Administrator
  • Have a flufftastic day!
  • Mood: Okay
  • SDC interest: owner-trainer
Re: Advice for new puppy owners
« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2012, 11:45:35 AM »
I thought of two more:

"Enroll in puppy kindergarten right away."

and

"A really good book is _______"  (fill in the blank with your favorite puppy book)
Kirsten and Tardis
In loving memory of Cole (1/11/99 - 6/26/12)  He gave me back my life.

"The one absolute, unselfish friend that man can have in this selfish world -- the one that never proves ungrateful or treacherous -- is his dog." -George G. Vest

Offline robbertbobbert

• Old Timer
« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2012, 11:46:56 AM »
Everyone else seems to have covered the USEFUL advice, so here's my not-entirely-useful advice:

They don't stay babies for very long, and you will miss it someday, so enjoy every minute!

Offline arrianya

• Surrealist At Large
  • Old Timer
  • Trying to stay sane in the asylum of dreams
  • Mood: In the mood for love
  • SDC interest: SD partner
« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2012, 05:32:29 AM »
Take every chance you get to teach something new! Especially if your raising a future service dog.                                                                                   be more stubborn than the puppy or adolescent. Dont let them get away with testing boundaries!
"I'm quirky, silly, blunt, and broken.  My days are sometimes too dark, and my nights are sometimes too long. I often trip over my own insecurities. I require attention, long for passion, and wish to be desired. I love hard with all that i have.. and even with my faults, I am worth loving"-D.Grayson

Offline BlindMag

• Donna Summer
  • Old Timer
  • Diva SD
  • Mood: Wired for sound
« Reply #18 on: June 09, 2012, 04:07:50 AM »
Short, i.e. up to a few minutes per session, daily socialize puppy to strange people, dogs, other animals, surfaces, objects, sounds, touch, being handled all over, and novelties at the puppy's pace by gradually decreasing distance and increasing stimuli while learning to read your pup without over-facing him.
"Winds may come and winds may blow none can cure Summer Fever." -DS

Offline Shiver

• SDC interest: waiting
« Reply #19 on: June 09, 2012, 10:41:09 AM »
Keep hitting the basics once they know them.

Here is why:
When I got Rivan I started teaching her "Rivan Come. Then she Sits at my feet. She had this down in about two weeks.  Other dogs she sees often who were the same age also were learning it. Some of them were older then her and already knew to come when they were called.

Flash forward 2.5 months.

I can now call out "Rivan Come" while she is playing with 'her' pack of doggie friends from across a field. She will break off and come to me and sit.  (I am terribly proud of this)

If the others call their dogs is goes something like:

"Murphy Come!  Murphy!  Come Come!  Hey Murphey!  Come!  Come!  Come Here!!  MURP!"

Murphy and most of the rest of them pretty much don't listen to their owners anymore.

I have continued to work with Rivan every day, several times a day with "Rivan Come".

We do it with me hiding from her (she likes this)
We do it while I run away from her (Oh! Chase)
We do it while I am laying down, standing up, hopping on one foot, while people block her view of me.
We do this here and there and everywhere. 

We also keep working on Sit Down Leave It, Paw, Touch etc etc every day. 

I try not to make it boring and I try to change up where and when we do this.  The rewards go range from "good girl" to being petted and praise to 'jack pots' of treats. 

Anyhow... I think that people just feel that once the dog comes when they call they are done with that part of the training and then are surprised when the dog stops doing it.

Offline caring canine

• Old Timer
  • Mood: Silly
« Reply #20 on: June 14, 2012, 09:03:05 PM »
Don't buy into "breed characteristics" that state your dog will be stubborn and/or you will constantly hit this obstacle in training.

All dog is capable of learning good manners. You just need to be consistent and persevere.
Some of the world's greatest feats were accomplished by people not smart enough to know they were impossible - Doug Larson

Offline Roxie

• Official Cheermudgeon!
  • Resilient, Strong, Compassionate, Very Happy
  • Mood: Happy
« Reply #21 on: June 14, 2012, 11:47:25 PM »
Have fun. Go slow. Have fun. Be firm, fair and consistent. Have fun. Go slow!!!! Have fun.
Blessed are the curious for they shall have adventures!

Offline Smithcat

• Old Timer
  • Guide dogs, the model others emulate
  • Mood: Cynical
  • SDC interest: family
« Reply #22 on: July 11, 2012, 09:02:06 PM »
Quit now, while you still have some semblance of your sanity left.