Author Topic: Books, books, and more books!  (Read 5106 times)

Offline Khiori25

• Mood: Vulcans have no moods
  • SDC interest: waiting
Books, books, and more books!
« on: February 19, 2012, 02:14:18 PM »
Recently I've been shopping around for some good book to start reading before the arrival of my puppy. I've already decided on "Eyes that Lead", as suggested elsewhere on the forum, and I'm pretty sure about getting "The Culture Clash" for some basic behavioral knowledge. I'm also planning to get "Don't Shoot the Dog" for some good ask around training tips. Now I'm looking for a good book specifically for puppiesthat include things like house breaking, where to start training, socialization, and some information about fear imprint stages. There are quite a few of these sorts of books out there but there are just as many conflicting reviews that I'm having troubles deciding!

Also, I would like to get a copy of "Belgians from Start to Finish" but that book is terrifically expensive. If anyone knows where I can get a used copy for a bit less money I would really appreciate the info!

Offline Roxie

• Official Cheermudgeon!
  • Resilient, Strong, Compassionate, Very Happy
  • Mood: Happy
  • SDC interest: SD partner
Re: Books, books, and more books!
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2012, 02:39:34 PM »
Check on Amazon for good used book prices.

What's wrong wth reading conflicting techniques of training?

I really only have read Volhaard and Koehler re: training. The rest I just depended on human development and pre-school education teaching techniques and methods - and of course the tried and true raising a gaggle (or giggle) of children. I also took a few training classes from Koehler style trainers. I tried the PetSmart and dog training club, but they weren't tough enough for my liking. Too wishy washy...... they seemed to humanize dogs too much.

I do have a few books on trick training and canine free-style.

I'm not a la de da sweetie pie trainer. I'm tough - hold the bar high and expect + demand excellence. Kids, dogs, adults, horses, whatever.  I have no time for the "feel good" training methods.

Most Belgians aren't very soft - so firm, fair, and consistent has worked for me.

Blessed are the curious for they shall have adventures!

Offline Khiori25

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2012, 02:54:13 PM »
I don't mind reading conflicting training techniques, I'm just trying to get a good base of books to start with that I can build on later.

I looked for the book on Belgians on Amazon, it was still over $400! I suppose it is a comprehensive book though, so it would probably be worth the money.

Thanks for the advice about being firm, I've heard that Belgians will definitly test you and firm but fair is definitly advice I'll take to heart!

Offline Tameesha

• Owner Trainer
  • Board Moderator
  • Don't wait for tomorrow.
  • SDC interest: owner-trainer
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2012, 03:22:10 PM »
I enjoyed the Monks of New Sketes "The Art of Raising a Puppy" and "How to be your dog best friend" and Ceaser Millan's "How to raise a puppy" you can also try getting books from your library or interlibrary loan if your in the US.

Right now I am really enjoying "Control Unleashed" and this is one of my favorite most used books so far. I've read about 40 dog related books since June 2011 alone. I'm a big dog nut, have been all my life!
« Last Edit: February 19, 2012, 03:24:16 PM by Tameesha »
** Valorzen's Indy CGC NTD CA ITD RN CD CGCA CGCU SPOT-ON ** Valorzen's Scrappy NTD CA RATN CGC CGCA CGCU RATO SPOT-ON ** Emmett Von Skykeeper CA NTD RATI RATN CGC CGCA CGCU SPOT-ON ** Zodiac's Playing With Fire RATI RATN RATO **

Offline k1maplewd

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2012, 03:43:29 PM »
Ian Dunbar's Before you get your puppy and After you get your puppy.  Both can be downloaded as free e-books off of www.dogstardaily.com 
Katrin & Tom

Offline sunshineone

• Old Timer
  • Just not able to deal with heartbreak
  • Mood: Bored
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2012, 04:03:45 PM »
A Dog Who is Always Welcome, by Lorie Long is one that I wish I read a long time ago. I am glad I am reading it now.

I like that Kindle has more books on Service Dogs now. Teamwork 1&2 are available. I have also a huge used bookstore near my place called Second and Charles that is run by the Books A Million people. I don't know how wide spread it is but there might be one close.
Nobody really cares anyways

Offline Roxie

• Official Cheermudgeon!
  • Resilient, Strong, Compassionate, Very Happy
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2012, 04:07:13 PM »
I will look through my "library" though and see if any might be of interest to you!
Blessed are the curious for they shall have adventures!

Offline Tameesha

• Owner Trainer
  • Board Moderator
  • Don't wait for tomorrow.
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2012, 04:49:01 PM »
I just finished "A dog who is always welcome" right before I started "control unleashed" I liked the Lorie Long book too! Lots of good information.
** Valorzen's Indy CGC NTD CA ITD RN CD CGCA CGCU SPOT-ON ** Valorzen's Scrappy NTD CA RATN CGC CGCA CGCU RATO SPOT-ON ** Emmett Von Skykeeper CA NTD RATI RATN CGC CGCA CGCU SPOT-ON ** Zodiac's Playing With Fire RATI RATN RATO **

Offline Khiori25

« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2012, 08:19:21 PM »
Thanks for the help! I'll definitly look through all your suggestions.

Offline Kirsten

• Administrator
  • Have a flufftastic day!
  • Mood: Okay
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2012, 09:50:50 PM »
Culture Clash is more of a rant than an instruction manual on dog behavior.  For behavior, I'd stick with Patricia McConnell.  She has a newer book than Other End of the Leash......"For the Love of a Dog:  Understanding Emotion in You and Your Best Friend."  That one and Suzanne Clothier's "Bones Would Rain From the Sky" are both excellent on helping you to understand what goes on inside their heads and why they do the things they do.

For puppy raising, I don't think you can beat Dr. Ian Dunbar, veterinary behaviorist and the inventor of Puppy Kindergarten and lure training.  His basic puppy book is available free online.  "Before You Get Your Puppy" and "After You Get Your Puppy" are both available here:  http://www.dogstardaily.com/free-downloads
That website, http://dogstardaily.com , is full of useful information about raising a puppy from a number of noted experts in the field.
Kirsten and Tardis
In loving memory of Cole (1/11/99 - 6/26/12)  He gave me back my life.

"The one absolute, unselfish friend that man can have in this selfish world -- the one that never proves ungrateful or treacherous -- is his dog." -George G. Vest

Offline Khiori25

« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2012, 11:20:12 PM »
Thanks! I've actually already downloaded Dr. Dunbar's first book thanks to k1maplewd's post. I plan on starting it tomorrow. The other end of the leash was actually on my "maybe" list, but I was worried it was a bit dated, thanks for letting me know about one of her more recent publications.

Offline BlindMag

• Donna Summer
  • Old Timer
  • Diva SD
  • Mood: Wired for sound
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2012, 01:48:57 AM »
I also think Dr. Patricia McConnell's books are all excellent!
"Winds may come and winds may blow none can cure Summer Fever." -DS

Offline bluedogwoman

• Loquacious Member
  • Mood: Excited
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2013, 08:00:06 PM »
I'm reading Bones would Rain From the Sky right now, and I love it!

óBlue

Offline Magesteff

• Eater of books
  • Old Timer
  • I want to be a mysterious Woman...
  • Mood: Annoyed
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2013, 09:39:18 PM »
You can also check with the local public libraries, they may carry some of the books you want, especially someone who has a bit of celebrity attached to their name (Cesar Milan). You won't be able to keep the book for more than a few weeks without renewing the check out from the library, but it is a way to save a bit of money.

I have also found that sometimes the electronic version of a book, while still high for some authors, is usually less pricey than the hardback or paper back  version.  Amazon has "Kindle for the PC" which is a allows you to read any book you have purchased from them without also purchasing the E-reader the books are formatted for. I would expect other companies to offer similar apps for your PC or tablet to allow you to read their books without getting their e-reader as well.
Steffeny, with Hobbes. In memory of Spike (1989 ~ 12/14/2014) my little old gentleman, and Max (9/21/2006 ~ 6/2/2015).  Dog camp postponed until I am in a better situation.
FB:http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/Magesteff