Handling and Stewardship > Health & Maintenance (publicly viewable board)

Poisonous Plants

(1/1)

Ilghaus:
Disclaimer: SDC does not warrant the information provided in this thread.  Each individual dog may react differently to ingesting plant material. If you have any concerns or questions as to the information here, please continue with your own personal research. Information posted here is never to take the place of your own research or advice of your dog's veterinarian or other health care provider.

Ilghaus:
From the ASPCA Website

Toxic and Non-Toxic Plants

"This list contains plants that have been reported as having systemic effects on animals and/or intense effects on the gastrointestinal tract. Please note that the information contained in our plant lists is not meant to be all-inclusive, but rather a compilation of the most frequently encountered plants. If you think that your animal is ill or may have ingested a poisonous substance, contact your local veterinarian or our 24-hour emergency poison hotline directly at 1-888-426-4435."

http://www.aspca.org/pet-care/poison-control/plants/

Ilghaus:
From Yahoo

Are Poinsettias Poisonous?
posted by Melissa Breyer Dec 1, 2010 5:01 pm

"Pity the poor poinsettia. All it ever wanted was to be a nice emblem for the holidays: To be patiently wrapped in red foil and hoisted on hostesses, to festoon festive Christmas sweaters, and to be eternally mimicked in plastic. But somewhere along the way it picked up a bad-girl reputation as a lethal beauty; lovely to look at, and terribly toxic if tasted!"

"According to the American Medical Associationís Handbook of Poisonous and Injurious Plants, other than occasional cases of vomiting, ingestion of the poinsettia plant has been found to produce no ill effect."

http://www.care2.com/greenliving/are-poinsettias-poisonous.html

Ilghaus:
From Yahoo
24 Common Plants Poisonous to Pets
posted by Melissa Breyer Sep 15, 2010 5:01 pm

"In order to prevent poisoning by cut flowers or house plants, avoid placing toxic ones in your home where pets may be able to access them. Or better yet, avoid buying flowers and plants that are known to be toxic."

"For dogs, the animal science department at Cornell University suggests adding bran flakes to his food or switching her diet to one higher in vegetable fibers to deter cravings for vegetation. The only other thing to do is to watch your dogís behavior when walking outside, and try to prevent them from munching on vegetation unless you know it is harmless. When you see symptoms such as vomiting, diarrhea, difficult breathing, abnormal urine, salivation, weakness, and any other abnormal condition, take your pet to the veterinarian because he may be poisoned."

http://www.care2.com/greenliving/24-common-plants-poisonous-to-pets.html

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Sitemap 
Go to full version