Author Topic: book review: Tom and Bear  (Read 2136 times)

Offline k1maplewd

• Old Timer
  • Mood: Happy
  • SDC interest: SD partner
book review: Tom and Bear
« on: November 06, 2010, 12:30:46 PM »
My friend who I visited yesterday, lent me a book of hers called "Tom and Bear: The Training of a Guide Dog Team" by Richard B. McPhee.  The book is a day by day depiction of a team of a young man named Tom and his golden retriever guide dog, Bear, while they are in class training at Guiding Eyes for the Blind in NY in the late 1970s.  While this is an older book, I really think that anyone planning to go to a guide dog school or even just interested in what team training is like at a guide dog school should try to read it as it really gives a good idea of what class is like and about the different problems and successes that can happen with a new guide dog.  The book is very well done, and not a glossy "feel good" story, it talks about how hard training can be and that it is hard work but not without rewards.  It talks about how guide dogs are still just dogs, and will be dogs, that they aren't perfect and they aren't machines, but are just as fallible as any other dog.  The author writes about his talks with Tom and the real life difficulties that Tom had coming to terms with his blindness and about how Orientation and Mobility training was so important to his success at team training.  It really is a very realistic, down to earth story of one many and his journey to become a partner and team mate with a new guide dog.  I would recommend it to anyone.
Katrin & Tom

Offline k1maplewd

• Old Timer
  • Mood: Happy
Re: book review: Tom and Bear
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2010, 05:57:00 PM »
If a mod wants to move this to the book review section of a forum, that would be great, I didn't remember or notice that section until after I posted this.

This book is available on Bookshare in audio format, I have not yet checked RFB&D to see if that have it and I don't know if BARD has it, I do not have a membership there so cannot check.
Katrin & Tom

Offline fledchen

• Budgie Wrangler
  • squeak! chirp!
  • Mood: Dazed
  • SDC interest: curious
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2010, 06:11:21 PM »
It's available from NLS in braille (BR 05296) and on cassette (RC 20007). It doesn't look like it's scheduled to be converted to digital format for BARD.
:betsy:
:budgie: :bat:

Offline labs4ever

• SDC Book Club and welcome comittee Board Moderator
  • Official Welcomer
  • Opening the doors of life together as a team! ^_^
  • Mood: Tired
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2010, 07:10:24 PM »
speaking of RFB and D books.  Do you guys know of any opensource software that will play  RFB and D books on CD?  I havean RFB and D book on  CD and want to listen to it but I can't remember my user name and such for RFB and D and it is the weekend.    ANy helpl  is appreciated Thanks guys! Unfortunatley I can't download  this guide dog book from NLS as my  Braille Note died and  Humanware has  told me they no longer  fix Braille Note classics. I got it in 2003 when I was working,  now I would like to use it  for a braille display for my lap top and downloading  books but I can't!    Sorry to get off subject a bit! :sad:
Kerri and Sophie
Once a Stray now she saves the day! Guidedog/seizure response/wheelchair mobility
Flicks Sensational Mandy  Rue ML ESA.  QUEEN OF NICE

Offline fledchen

• Budgie Wrangler
  • squeak! chirp!
  • Mood: Dazed
  • SDC interest: curious
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2010, 07:36:24 PM »
RFB&D books are protected by DRM. You need a player (software or hardware) that has a decryption key installed. The federal copyright exemption that allows nonprofits to produce accessible materials for the disabled requires that they be in a format that the general public can't use, like the long-playing 4-track cassette or braille. Digital books have to be protected by Digital Rights Management (DRM). Ironically it's DRM that also prevents disabled people from accessing a lot of commercial content.
:betsy:
:budgie: :bat:

Offline labs4ever

• SDC Book Club and welcome comittee Board Moderator
  • Official Welcomer
  • Opening the doors of life together as a team! ^_^
  • Mood: Tired
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2010, 08:27:09 PM »
Yeaeh I know about the copy right laws.  I have been getting NLS records since I was four.  I still like the cassettes better then the  new digital carttridges.    I guess I will contact RFB and D and see  if they can give me my passsword and such and then I can download their software.   
Kerri and Sophie
Once a Stray now she saves the day! Guidedog/seizure response/wheelchair mobility
Flicks Sensational Mandy  Rue ML ESA.  QUEEN OF NICE