Author Topic: corn  (Read 643 times)

Offline Cera

• Old Timer
  • Life is like a bag of...
  • Mood: Excited
  • SDC interest: SD partner
corn
« on: July 25, 2008, 03:46:01 PM »
So one of the big issues effecting our economy is the lack of enough corn.  Corn based items are increasing as well as anything that is fed corn.  For example, beef is going up in price quicker in chicken because cows eat more corn.

So how is that effecting dog food.  Obviously prices have gone up all around.  My dog food without corn has increased $7 since March.  They have also discontinued several types as well as introduced a potato and oatmeal based product.  But I'm wondering about the produts that use corn primarily for fillers.  Will those low-cost brands change their formula?  I actually can't find Alpo's ingrediant list online but I am pretty sure corn is the first on the the list.  But then they also have a smaller percentage of meat which is also raising in price.
A Story of Hope: http://blog.workndog.org/hopesclan/

Hope can never be lost... only found...

Offline fledchen

• Budgie Wrangler
  • squeak! chirp!
  • Mood: Dazed
  • SDC interest: curious
Re: corn
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2008, 04:34:38 PM »
If you want a fascinating (and somewhat chilling) look at just how much the U.S. economy and food supply relies on corn, read Michael Pollan's "The Omnivore's Dilemma."

Corn is in just about every processed food, in one form or another. It's a good thing that humans don't develop corn allergies as readily as dogs do or we'd see some pretty big changes in the agriculture and processed food industry.
:betsy:
:budgie: :bat:

Offline Cera

• Old Timer
  • Life is like a bag of...
  • Mood: Excited
  • SDC interest: SD partner
Re: corn
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2008, 02:31:54 AM »
I will have to put that book on reserve.  It sounds interesting.
A Story of Hope: http://blog.workndog.org/hopesclan/

Hope can never be lost... only found...