Author Topic: Medical Service Dog: Family Kicked Out of Restaurant?  (Read 1424 times)

Offline responsiblek9

• Mood: Okay
  • SDC interest: SD partner
Medical Service Dog: Family Kicked Out of Restaurant?
« on: April 08, 2014, 11:44:49 AM »
http://www.kmph.com/story/25187943/medical
Medical Service Dog: Family Kicked Out of Restaurant?
KMPH Fox 26-10 hours agoShare
A Tulare County family claims a restaurant denied it service, because of its medical alert dog. The owner of the restaurant is threatening legal action.
A thousand miles you walked with me ,
 Through the fields and streams
  Down many a lonely place, On darkened  paths and streets

Offline Kirsten

• Administrator
  • Have a flufftastic day!
  • SDC interest: owner-trainer
Re: Medical Service Dog: Family Kicked Out of Restaurant?
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2014, 12:21:18 PM »
Very interesting that the restaurant is considering pursuing a defamation claim.  I actually hope they do.  I'm tired of businesses being blasted in social media by people who jump on the bandwagon after hearing only one side of the story.

This dog had been there many times before without issue.  WHAT CHANGED?  It sounds like the restaurant has a long history of allowing service dogs, by the complainant's own statement.  So WHAT CHANGED?  Why did they not want that particular dog there that particular day?  What I suspect is that in the past the dog has created no problem for the restaurant, so they didn't care, but that this day there was a problem so they did.  Whether the problem was the dog's behavior or customer complaints, we don't know.  Don't even really know if there was some specific incident that brought this to a head, just suspecting that is what happened.

We don't the bleep know what happened!
Kirsten and Tardis
In loving memory of Cole (1/11/99 - 6/26/12)  He gave me back my life.

"The one absolute, unselfish friend that man can have in this selfish world -- the one that never proves ungrateful or treacherous -- is his dog." -George G. Vest

Offline responsiblek9

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2014, 03:36:10 PM »
http://www.visaliatimesdelta.com/article/20140409/NEWS01/304090017/Family-Asked-leave-restaurant-because-service-dog

Family: Asked to leave restaurant because of service dog
Visalia Times-Delta-8 hours agoShare
Laura Inestroza with her service dog, Darwin, who can sense when her ... Cortes says she's always let guide dogs for the blind and even police dogs in the ...

Offline ccunnin3

• Little Win Guru
  • Old Timer
  • Nicer Once You Get To Know Her
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2014, 07:14:55 PM »
I did some Google-ing and found something interesting.

The dog is wearing a vest from an organization called Early Alert Canines. They place two types of DADs--Skilled Companion Dogs for in the home and Full Access Service Dogs.

In their FAQ they say
Q. My child is very young, but I want him/her to be able to bring a dog to school. Can that happen?
A. EAC cannot certify a child younger than 12 years old to handle a dog outside of the home. Bringing a dog to school is a huge responsibility and is not psychologically, emotionally or physically appropriate for most children.

Instead of public access service dogs for young children, EAC provides Skilled Companion dogs. Skilled Companion dogs work mainly in the home and the child's guardian is responsible for handling the dog. These dogs work very well for families with young children with diabetes their primary role is for evening and nighttime alerting. They have the same public access rights as a pet dog would have, as opposed to the more comprehensive rights guaranteed to fully certified service dogs. If your family decides that a service dog would be more appropriate, EAC invites you to apply for a service dog when your child is of age.

Clearly, the child in that video is under 12.

I don't think that explains why they suddenly got denied access but it does explain why the program isn't stepping in to help in this situation.
Caitlin and AIRLIE
My Blog

Offline NMA

• Loquacious Member
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2014, 07:35:53 PM »
Interesting, it's an organization local to me that has a working relationship with GDB and CCI, both organizations send potential dogs who don't work as guide or service dogs for training as DADs. I haven't personally encountered any teams, though I may know some people who have dogs they raised in training now.

I am actually glad the restaurant is considering action, if it is true the dog was misbehaving. Too many businesses do not know that is within their rights. There's one dog who barks like crazy in my local coffee shop, but the employees do nothing because it's a "service dog"  :angry:

ETA: I'm not sure about the program's interpretation of Skilled Companion, I know in some programs Skilled Companion teams/triads meet the same ADI PAT standards as Service teams, and have public access rights.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2014, 07:41:12 PM by NMA »

Offline arrianya

• Surrealist At Large
  • Old Timer
  • Trying to stay sane in the asylum of dreams
  • Mood: In the mood for love
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2014, 11:39:21 PM »
I'm I am understanding their interpretation right, its that skilled companions are home only SDs. And not to be used in public except pet friendly venues... makes sense.  And frankly, I honestly really like that fact, being the age limit.
"I'm quirky, silly, blunt, and broken.  My days are sometimes too dark, and my nights are sometimes too long. I often trip over my own insecurities. I require attention, long for passion, and wish to be desired. I love hard with all that i have.. and even with my faults, I am worth loving"-D.Grayson

Offline responsiblek9

« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2014, 11:06:39 AM »
http://www.dailyrecord.com/article/20140409/NJLIFE/304090052/
The family had come in with their dog, Darwin, a medical alert canine that can sense through smell when Inestroza’s daughter, Laura, has a drop in blood glucose because of her type 1 diabetes. Darwin had graduated that morning from a licensed medical training dog program.