General Discussion > In the News (publicly viewable board)

Woman's service dog taken away due to city pit bull ban

(1/2) > >>

responsiblek9:
Woman's service dog taken away due to city pit bull ban
http://www.wdbj7.com/content/news/Womans-service-dog-taken-away-due-to-city-pit-bull-ban-463209323.html
The city could not discuss Denton's case but Beehler said the ban excludes service dogs if they are certified in the city.

"So if somebody has a pit bull that does meet the criteria, the DNA criteria, they have to come to the city, go through a process of certifying that that dog is in fact a service animal," he said.

"Otherwise no, it can't be allowed in the city."

Ariel:
I really don't like the idea of eyeballing and this is why. If anyone hasn't heard about the 1965 study where they crossed a Basenji with an English Cocker Spaniel and the pups all came out looking like they would be Lab or hound mixes, here's a link to an overview:
http://www.dogforum.com/general-dog-discussion/dog-genetics-appearance-307370/

That said, it seems as if there are guidelines that would allow for the dog to be proven and registered within the city as a service dog and the owner either opted not to or for one reason or another was incapable. It's hard to comment much more than that without more information, but on the face it seems like if the dog is a task trained service dog that he should be able to be registered and live in the city.

responsiblek9:
I don't see anything addressing out of town visitors and local area non town residents with service dogs of banned breeds ?

Ariel:

--- Quote from: responsiblek9 on December 10, 2017, 01:32:34 PM ---I don't see anything addressing out of town visitors and local area non town residents with service dogs of banned breeds ?

--- End quote ---

I don't either. I wonder how they would handle that or confiscate first and ask questions later if an out of town "pit bull" SD was found to be traveling in the city.

OlgatheGSD:
Breed restrictions don't make a whole lot of sense to me as it seems like animal control isn't enforcing existing laws about leashes, lawful containment, and aggressive dogs. Almost all dog attacks happen from improper containment/dogs getting loose and dogs not being on leashes at all or being on flexi's. Flexi's are banned in my county yet everyone has one and the law is not enforced in the least. These laws can also be enforced by eyeballing and apply to everyone in the area, so it's just animal control not doing their job.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Sitemap 
Go to full version