Author Topic: DIY treats that don't require cutting?  (Read 143 times)

Offline Deafinitely

• Mood: Brain fog
  • SDC interest: SD partner
DIY treats that don't require cutting?
« on: January 07, 2018, 01:29:54 PM »
Has anyone tried using a silicone "pyramid pan" (this thing: https://www.amazon.com/Pyramid-Pan-Silicone-Kitchen-Healthy/dp/B00A29VVJS) or something similar as a mold to cook dog treats in?

I've been making my own treats lately, but I'm really bad at cutting them up into bits once they're cooked. I'm looking for an easier way to get small pieces... right now I'm just letting the treats cool and then either tearing them or breaking them up with my hands depending on how hard they are.

Online Kirsten

• Administrator
  • Have a flufftastic day!
  • Mood: Okay
  • SDC interest: owner-trainer
Re: DIY treats that don't require cutting?
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2018, 02:27:39 PM »
Depends on the texture of what you are cutting but I've used a commercial French fry cutter on rolled dog food with mixed results.  Rolled dog food with what I call "meat raisins" or chunks of texture doesn't work so well, but dog food rolls that are more homogenous work okay.  It makes a mess to clean up, which might not be so horrible if you ran it through a dishwasher but I haven't tested this because dog food in the dishwasher where I wash my dishes grosses me out so I wash it by hand.
Kirsten and Tardis
In loving memory of Cole (1/11/99 - 6/26/12)  He gave me back my life.

"The one absolute, unselfish friend that man can have in this selfish world -- the one that never proves ungrateful or treacherous -- is his dog." -George G. Vest

Offline SandyStern

• Official Welcomer
  • Mood: Happy
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2018, 02:58:05 PM »
I know a trainer who blends soft cheese with cream cheese and puts it in a squeeze bottle (like the kind they make for travelers to use for shampoo). She squeezes about a pea sized dollop and lets the dog lick it.  Keeps your hands clean, too.

Online ccunnin3

• Little Win Guru
  • Old Timer
  • Nicer Once You Get To Know Her
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2018, 04:32:49 PM »
I've used ice trays as molds very successfully.
Caitlin and AIRLIE
My Blog

Offline RedSonia29

• No. We're not going for a ride....
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2018, 09:29:11 AM »
I've used the silicone molds for making measured raw dog food patties but, other than human food, I've not cooked doggie treats in them. The biggest issue that I had with them is that I only have a few molds and I really want to make hundreds of treats at a time. It ends up taking all day.

What about trying something like a wire cheese cutter, pizza, or pasta roller? That said, if grasping is a problem, these might not be ideal.
In loving memory of Clive (CLASS, CGC, Diabetic Alert Dog). You saved my life countless times just by using your heart, nose, and your fat pit bull head. Our time together was too short and I miss you every day. 12/21/11 - 11/19/2016

Bowie's Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/BowietheDAD/