Author Topic: Service dog stolen from SUV in Puyallup  (Read 3135 times)

Offline responsiblek9

• Mood: Okay
  • SDC interest: SD partner
Service dog stolen from SUV in Puyallup
« on: December 24, 2011, 12:35:39 AM »

http://www.myfoxspokane.com/news/kcpq-service-dog-believed-stolen-from-vehicle-in-puyallup-20111223,0,4904633.story

Myfoxspokane.com - A service dog specially trained to detect when the blood sugar level of his owner reaches a dangerous level was believed stolen from a vehicle Friday in
A thousand miles you walked with me ,
 Through the fields and streams
  Down many a lonely place, On darkened  paths and streets

Offline Smithcat

• Old Timer
  • Guide dogs, the model others emulate
  • Mood: Cynical
  • SDC interest: family
Re: Service dog stolen from SUV in Puyallup
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2011, 11:35:33 PM »
My question is.....if the dog is such a neccessary and important part of the persons medical need and safety....why was it left in the vehicle instead of being with the person it supposedly serves?

Offline cowlypso

• Old Timer
  • Mood: Bored
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2011, 11:56:53 PM »
Yeah...  I had to laugh when the lady said "Who would do this...to an elderly couple?"  Well, since you weren't there, they didn't know you were elderly.  Guess you should have the dog with you!  But, then again, if they were just running in to drop something off or something and were going to be back in 5 minutes, it's not always unreasonable to leave the dog in the car if it isn't anticipated that the dog will be needed. 

Other than the problems with the dog owners themselves, I thought that the article was actually well-written.  They were very careful to say that the dogs "seem to sense" changes in blood sugar.  And there weren't the usual SD article mistakes.

Offline Smithcat

• Old Timer
  • Guide dogs, the model others emulate
  • Mood: Cynical
  • SDC interest: family
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2011, 12:48:05 AM »
If my wife were to leave her guide in the car to "drop something off and be back in 5 minutes".......she would be gone a lot longer than 5 minutes........

Just sayin'

Offline responsiblek9

Service dog that disappeared in Puyallup found, reunited with family
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2011, 12:54:01 AM »
Service dog that disappeared in Puyallup found, reunited with family
http://blog.thenewstribune.com/crime/2011/12/24/missing-service-dog-is-back-home/

TheNewsTribune.com -
A highly trained service dog that disappeared from an SUV parked at a Puyallup nursing home Friday has been recovered and returned safely to its family, ...
A thousand miles you walked with me ,
 Through the fields and streams
  Down many a lonely place, On darkened  paths and streets

Offline Kirsten

• Administrator
  • Have a flufftastic day!
  • SDC interest: owner-trainer
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2011, 01:02:17 PM »
The use of the term "crocodile tears" is just weird.  I checked to see if my interpretation of the term was correct, and Wikipedia agreed with me:
"Crocodile tears (or superficial sympathy) are a false or insincere display of emotion such as a hypocrite crying fake tears of grief."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crocodile_tears
Kirsten and Tardis
In loving memory of Cole (1/11/99 - 6/26/12)  He gave me back my life.

"The one absolute, unselfish friend that man can have in this selfish world -- the one that never proves ungrateful or treacherous -- is his dog." -George G. Vest

Offline labs4ever

• SDC Book Club and welcome comittee Board Moderator
  • Official Welcomer
  • Opening the doors of life together as a team! ^_^
  • Mood: Tired
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2011, 05:24:49 PM »
I don't know,  I wouldn't choose to leave Sophie in the car without someone to watch her  just because I would be afraid this kind of thing could happen to me!

And,  while it could have been that this  lady was in and out in five minutes, (hey she was practiceing to adapt to her disability without her SD)  part of the reason I have a seizure response dog is so I will feel more comfortable going in public, just because you are going in somewhere quick, doesn't mean x medical problem that the dog responds to is not going to happen. 

I am glad they got the dog back though. 
and Smithcat your wife would be fine with out her  dog for five minutes IF she had a cane with her! :smile:  I know a few blind people that carry colapsable canes with them even when they have guide dogs in case their guide dog can't work or something,  I am not one of those though. 
Kerri and Sophie
Once a Stray now she saves the day! Guidedog/seizure response/wheelchair mobility
Flicks Sensational Mandy  Rue ML ESA.  QUEEN OF NICE

Offline unicyclechick

• Loquacious Member
  • Mood: Giddy
« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2011, 11:10:30 PM »
Labs4ever I am one of those people who still generally take there cane everywhere even when Inca is with me and it has come in handy many times when i couldnt work him for different reasons.

Offline robbertbobbert

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2011, 12:00:51 AM »
My friend totally works at that retirement home.

Offline ILOVEMYSDPHOENIX

• remember not all SD are the same
  • Mood: Exhausted
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2011, 05:47:20 PM »
I  WOULD  NEVER LEAVE  MY SD  IN THE CAR  FIRST  OF ALL  I DONT HAVE A CAR  BUT EVEN  IF  DID SD ARE NEVER TO BE LEFT ALONE  BECAUSE  IT  TAKE TO LONG TO REPLACE THEM
A GREATFUL SERVICE DOG OWNER IN  FL  who  got  the best   hearing service  dog ever