Author Topic: Owner searching for missing service dog  (Read 1157 times)

Offline responsiblek9

• Mood: Okay
  • SDC interest: SD partner
Owner searching for missing service dog
« on: December 21, 2011, 11:27:15 PM »

http://www.wsvn.com/news/articles/local/21006213487835/owner-searching-for-missing-service-dog/

7Online WSVN-TV - (WSVN) -- A dog owner is looking for his lost service dog and is hoping the public can help him finding the missing pooch. Rodrigo Gasteazoro took his ...
A thousand miles you walked with me ,
 Through the fields and streams
  Down many a lonely place, On darkened  paths and streets

Offline Stephanimal

• Old Timer
  • IT'S A BOY
Re: Owner searching for missing service dog
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2011, 08:41:53 PM »
I feel bad he lost her and hope for her safe return, but I am curious as to what could have startled her so much that she would bolt like that. That isn't typical behavior for a SD especially if he doesn't even know what startled her.
Stephanie & Diesel owner training SD prospect.

Offline Kirsten

• Administrator
  • Have a flufftastic day!
  • SDC interest: owner-trainer
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2011, 08:56:23 PM »
I've had stuff startle my dog.  Like when I parked Cole next to a stack of boxes well over my head at the Joint Communications garage.  And he kept breaking his stay, and I got cross with him, and then the stack of boxes fell over on him.  (All empty boxes)  So it turns out he was right and that was a stupid place to park him.  But Cole's answer was to run toward me, not away.
Kirsten and Tardis
In loving memory of Cole (1/11/99 - 6/26/12)  He gave me back my life.

"The one absolute, unselfish friend that man can have in this selfish world -- the one that never proves ungrateful or treacherous -- is his dog." -George G. Vest

Offline Stephanimal

• Old Timer
  • IT'S A BOY
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2011, 04:06:03 PM »
I guess I am just having a hard time picturing what could have spooked him at a vet's office. I understand any dog no matter how well trained can spook, but I would think she would have come when called.

Even when Diesel spooks he comes to me or only so far as to get away from the scary mower. I guess that is why I have a hard time with the dog running so far because it spooked. I do hope he finds her and figures out what spooked her so he can work with her on it.
Stephanie & Diesel owner training SD prospect.

Offline cowlypso

• Old Timer
  • Mood: Bored
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2011, 04:20:39 PM »
There's a difference between a nervous dog and a dog that is all-out panicking.  If we're someplace that Bear doesn't particularly like, he'll let me know, but he mostly just stays close.  For example, he doesn't really care for thunder, and wherever he is in the house when it starts, he'll come find me and flop down next to me. 

But the one time he really spooked, he just wanted to run.  He wasn't thinking rationally at all about where he was safe or what he should do, just an overwhelming instinct to flee.  This happened at one of those "4-D" theaters where there's special effects.  He was on the floor behind my legs when these jets of pressurized air came out from under the seats with a very loud hiss.  I was trapped in the middle of the row.  He literally jumped into my lap and shook, and as soon as the film was done (like 2 minutes later) he pulled horribly on the leash to just get out of there.  If I hadn't had hold of his leash, I have no doubt that he would have taken off at a full sprint.  I was so mad at the people at the theater, because I specifically asked them about the effects because of the dog, and they failed to mention the air jets in their list.  If I'd known that there was something crazy like that, I never would have taken him in there (they said that there were bubbles, squirt gun type streams of water, and streamers falling from the ceiling, all of which I knew he'd be fine with). 

Now, I have no idea what would spook a dog that bad at the vet, but it can happen.