Author Topic: Wyoming put into effect a new law outlawing fake service dogs  (Read 78 times)

Offline responsiblek9

• Mood: Okay
  • SDC interest: SD partner
Wyoming put into effect a new law outlawing fake service dogs
« on: August 10, 2017, 09:31:53 PM »
http://www.kcwy13.com/content/news/Fake-Service-Dogs--439657123.html
Can You Tell the Difference Between a Real Service Dog and a ...
KCWY 13 Where News Comes First-8 hours ago
On July 1st, Wyoming put into effect a new law outlawing fake service dogs. Several other states have a similar law. But, what is a real service ...
A thousand miles you walked with me ,
 Through the fields and streams
  Down many a lonely place, On darkened  paths and streets

Offline Kirsten

• Administrator
  • Have a flufftastic day!
  • Mood: Okay
  • SDC interest: owner-trainer
Re: Wyoming put into effect a new law outlawing fake service dogs
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2017, 10:24:23 PM »
Again, an article with misinformation.  There is no mention of leash length in ADA regulations.  I agree a flexi is not appropriate public access gear but a leash that attaches to the handler may be appropriate and a leash that is six feet long may be appropriate, depending on specific circumstances.  For example, if I have my dog on a six foot leash, that doesn't mean I allow him to wander around me the full length of that leash.  If he's trained to heel, then the length of the leash is not what defines where he is relative to me.  OTOH, I may want to toilet him on a six foot leash so I might choose to use one, especially when traveling.  Six foot would also make going through a metal detector easier.

And finally, Title I of the ADA, that which deals with places of employment, actually does consider ESAs a potentially appropriate accommodation.  It's Titles II and III which don't include ESAs.
Kirsten and Tardis
In loving memory of Cole (1/11/99 - 6/26/12)  He gave me back my life.

"The one absolute, unselfish friend that man can have in this selfish world -- the one that never proves ungrateful or treacherous -- is his dog." -George G. Vest