Author Topic: Hello  (Read 1770 times)

Offline Suse

• Old Timer
  • Mood: Okay
  • SDC interest: SD partner
Re: Hello
« Reply #45 on: August 12, 2017, 12:43:43 AM »
Very good news Mike!  She sounds so intelligent and biddable.  I am happy for you.  Remember though, slow and careful is the best.  Cheers...

Online Kirsten

• Administrator
  • Have a flufftastic day!
  • SDC interest: owner-trainer
« Reply #46 on: August 12, 2017, 12:50:21 AM »
Training classes, no matter what you take, are a benefit for dog and handler alike for life.  I encourage you to try out several sports like competition obedience, rally obedience and agility.  Training helps build and maintain the bond between dog and human, improves communication, provides both mental and physical exercise, and gets you out and about meeting other dog/human teams.

GOOD FOR YOU, MIKE!
Kirsten and Tardis
In loving memory of Cole (1/11/99 - 6/26/12)  He gave me back my life.

"The one absolute, unselfish friend that man can have in this selfish world -- the one that never proves ungrateful or treacherous -- is his dog." -George G. Vest

Offline Mike

• SDC interest: curious
« Reply #47 on: August 28, 2017, 05:30:28 PM »
Hello everybody. Sophie is doing great we've had a lil over 40 hours of training. She can heel and sit both on and off leash. Does real good about sit and recall, but what I kinda wanted to brag on is she somehow has learned to interrupt my anxiety and manic depressive episodes, I do not know how as we have not made it that far in class. This makes me so happy. When I ask her for help she puts her nose on my nose or face and starts to gimme kisses and offers her paw or paws. Guys how does she know to do this, we haven't worked on this at all, she just started doin this 3 days ago. I had a massive manic episode she kissed me gave me her paws whined. I had to get out of the house really bad we wound up at the fire station a mile and a half from my home. I didn't wanna hurt anyone or myself. Where as before I would have. I think Sophie walked me to the station as I was in a daze it was so bad. One of the fireman at the station was a grade ahead of me in school but I knew him well. He had one of the guys being us home as I was in no shape to walk that close to the road. The sidewalk is only 4-5 feet from a very busy road. Could someone explain how she knew to do this. As I can now lay down and say Sophie help and she does her thing I just don't know how she just outta the blue to do this. Thank you and god bless ya'll and Sophie..

Online Kirsten

• Administrator
  • Have a flufftastic day!
« Reply #48 on: August 28, 2017, 05:36:49 PM »
It's a natural behavior of dogs.  They're good at reading people and knowing when they are upset.  They feel insecure when their leader is anxious, so they give "calming signals" which in dog communication are used to de-escalate conflict.  We might also call them appeasement behaviors, or attention seeking behaviors such as whining, licking or jumping up.  It's part of emotional support and requires no training at all.
Kirsten and Tardis
In loving memory of Cole (1/11/99 - 6/26/12)  He gave me back my life.

"The one absolute, unselfish friend that man can have in this selfish world -- the one that never proves ungrateful or treacherous -- is his dog." -George G. Vest

Offline Mike

« Reply #49 on: August 28, 2017, 06:21:59 PM »
Kristen I'm just glad she does it. Makes me feel good. I know we have many hours ahead of us in class, but her just picking that up really makes our bond stronger..

Online OlgatheGSD

• Michelle and Olga
  • Mood: Brain fog
« Reply #50 on: August 28, 2017, 07:16:13 PM »
I love these updates! Keep them coming! :biggrin:

It may not be a task, but it still a great feeling that your dog wants to care for you. I'm so happy things are going great for you and Sophie!!
Breakthrough seizures are causing me to be blunt and ramble. I'm sorry in advance. Simple and complex partials are not anyone's friend.

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Olga-the-GSD-1632466706793262/

Offline Mike

« Reply #51 on: August 28, 2017, 09:32:04 PM »
Thanks she's doin great, after she gets her CGC and  psychiatric cert, my instructor wants her to go on and get her therapy cert also. I sometimes talk to a disabled veteran on FB he got his new dog this past Saturday, just a few minutes ago we were talking, and I said we were the luckiest ppl in the world to have dogs that care that much and get out of a dog what very few get. I absolutely love my Sophie, she literally saved my life..