Author Topic: 2 ESA's in 1 Apartment  (Read 82 times)

Offline freethinkme

• Newly arrived
  • SDC interest: SD partner
2 ESA's in 1 Apartment
« on: January 12, 2018, 10:54:37 AM »
My daughter and I both have prescriptions for ESA's.  We live in Michigan in the same apartment.  Our apartments usually do not allow pets of any kind.  When we moved in the person helping us in the office took copies of everything.  Fast forward 8 months and my daughter is approached by the apartment manager while she is taking the dogs outside and told that we are not allowed to have any pets.  My daughter has  CI and ADHD so she didn't know what to say.  She just came back in crying and in a panic.  A few days later I receive a Notice to Quit.  So I go into the apartment offices and tell them that we both have prescriptions for an ESA.  The say it's not in our file.  I go home and get the original prescriptions and bring them back to the office as proof.  Then I am told that one ESA should be able to meet the needs of the both of us and that we have to get rid of the second dog or be out of the apartment in 30 days.  My daughter's mental illness is much more pronounced than mine so I decided to place my dog with my other daughter until we can get some answers on if/how this can be straightened out.  My daughter and I have both had our ESA's since they were puppies.  They are now six years old.  Her dog is very attached to her and my dog is very attached to me.  Therefore I cannot get the level of emotional support from her dog as I can from my own.  I have cried many tears and my anxiety level has gone through the roof since my dog has not been here to help me.  Can anyone give advice?  Any and all advice would be much appreciated

Offline Kirsten

• Administrator
  • Have a flufftastic day!
  • Mood: Okay
  • SDC interest: owner-trainer
Re: 2 ESA's in 1 Apartment
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2018, 12:57:55 PM »
My thoughts, as a non-attorney, just based on past experience helping people with ESAs negotiate accommodations:

Get a second letter from your mental health provider that states that in their professional opinion sharing one dog between you is not an adequate accommodation because removing an ESA from either of you would be traumatic given that you are each allready emotionally attached to and dependent upon your respective animals.  That removing either animal would be harmful to the mental health of the person who loses their animal.

I don't know if you are your daughter's guardian legally or in practice.  If you are her legal guardian, then you can put the management on notice not to have any contact with your daughter without you being present as her guardian.  If your daughter is legally independent (of legal age and not declared incompetent by a court) then I suggest instead that you ask her mental health care provider to include in the above letter that it is harmful to her mental health to confront her in person and that any communication should be in writing or with you present or her doctor/therapist present.

Then include a letter from yourself explaining that this was already worked out prior to your moving in and that though the office lost the paper work the dates on your letters are evidence that you had them prior to moving in and would have no reason to hide or withhold them from management.  Your letter needs to also summarize the time you and your ESAs have lived there, pointing out how responsible you are about their care, that they don't bark and disturb neighbors, that you promptly clean up poop in public areas, that they have done no damage to the apartment, etc., everything that you're doing right, and that they have nothing to actually complain about.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2018, 01:00:09 PM by Kirsten »
Kirsten and Tardis
In loving memory of Cole (1/11/99 - 6/26/12)  He gave me back my life.

"The one absolute, unselfish friend that man can have in this selfish world -- the one that never proves ungrateful or treacherous -- is his dog." -George G. Vest