Author Topic: Government To Probe Whether Florida Condo Association Can Force Vet To Give Up S  (Read 144 times)

Offline responsiblek9

• Mood: Okay
  • SDC interest: SD partner
http://taskandpurpose.com/government-probe-whether-florida-condo-association-can-force-vet-give-support-dog/
Government To Probe Whether Florida Condo Association Can Force Vet To Give Up Support Dog

HUD will consider whether the case violates fair-housing laws by forcing the widower to surrender the animal despite a psychologistís recommendation he keep the dog. Weight limits at the Conway-area condominium are 35 pounds; Bane weighs about 41 pounds and might be a banned breed.
A thousand miles you walked with me ,
 Through the fields and streams
  Down many a lonely place, On darkened  paths and streets

Online Kirsten

• Administrator
  • Have a flufftastic day!
  • SDC interest: owner-trainer
So the way to avoid this is to
(1) get the alndlord's approval before bringing the dog home OR
(2) iron out the accommodation before signing the lease.

If you wait until after you get the dog or after you move in to make the request for accommodation, this is one example of what can happen that's a really miserable situation to be in, but one you could have avoided.
Kirsten and Tardis
In loving memory of Cole (1/11/99 - 6/26/12)  He gave me back my life.

"The one absolute, unselfish friend that man can have in this selfish world -- the one that never proves ungrateful or treacherous -- is his dog." -George G. Vest

Offline Nala

• Mood: Brain fog
Warning: Rant  :mad:

And know if your area has any banned breeds. I love my pits and am anti-BSL, but it is just plain stupid to move into a BSL area, get a pit or other banned breed, then scream service animal the moment someone tries to enforce the law. The law is the law people! No matter how  :poo: that may be! Know the weight limits of your housing. Know the local breed bans. Don't freaking move where your dog ain't welcome and expect it to be sunshine and roses!

Ok. I'm done now.  :dry:

Online Kirsten

• Administrator
  • Have a flufftastic day!
I agree, there are some bad laws, but the way to deal with them is to fight them by getting them changed, not by flaunting them or taking advantage of the disabled and making false claims they are service dogs.

Also, if you love your dog, you don't take unnecessary chances with the dog's life.  Mine is a GSD and there are some areas where they are banned.  I'm diligent about checking where I'm going and how I'm getting there so I can avoid any area where he might be in danger from BSL.  My dog's life, safety, and wellbeing is signifiantly more important than changing any law or getting press coverage.

I do actively work on getting laws changed that I don't agree with, but my dog is not going to be put at risk because of my political views.  That's my line.
Kirsten and Tardis
In loving memory of Cole (1/11/99 - 6/26/12)  He gave me back my life.

"The one absolute, unselfish friend that man can have in this selfish world -- the one that never proves ungrateful or treacherous -- is his dog." -George G. Vest