Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Obviously we all got the wrong dogs.
Health & Maintenance (publicly viewable board) / Re: Dog anal stink
« Last post by mommagrizzly on Today at 12:21:02 PM »
Oh, yeah, that definitely does sound like anal glands. It's weird that your groomer and vet haven't been able to find anything. Strangely enough, I sometimes have the same problem with my dog. She will smell like it every once in awhile, but her anal glands are totally fine. Haven't been able to figure out why so I guess we're both on the same issue here! I feed my dog a salmon based diet. I can only smell it if I get close to her rear end though.

To me it smells like nasty fish and pennies (metallic).

Keturah does this every so often too. It is awful. 
I am very much NOT a morning person, but Keturah is. She always wakes up ready to live life and party.
This topic has been moved to [In other news].

[Treat concussion with squirt of medicine up nose?]
Hey it's great to hear that all went well and that we were able to help with advice and info.  It's never too late to hear about resounding success!  Congrats!
In the News (publicly viewable board) / Re: Mother, make it stop!
« Last post by SandyStern on Yesterday at 11:40:32 AM »
To answer Kirsten's hypothetical: I'm going to execute a lawyerly dodge and say I think it might be a moot point because I doubt that the seizures would return if the handler went to the store without the dog.  And if the seizures stopped because of the dog, I'm going out on a limb to say that the handler could learn how to calm herself without the dog.
Two things about public access for ESDs.

1.   I don't think national standards would be effective to phase in public access for ESDs without preserving many of the problems we now have.  Verification of proper public behavior and stress testing would be the most difficult aspects of a licensing plan even for SDs.  That's a big deal. We don't talk about it much, but task training is the bulwark against huggers and frauds simply because few people are going to put the time and effort to task train a dog.  How would ESDs be trained for public access? To the extent that programs might be willing to train ESDs, those programs are likely to be run by huggers, whose predilections for overlooking deficits are well known, or frauds like he-who-shall-not-be-named in Virginia.  I do not see a burgeoning industry in programs that spend 2 years training dogs in public behavior, as well as washing out half of them, so they can be presented to someone who then hopes to bond with the dog enough to get emotional support. No, the common presentation will be a PWD whose pet helps her, so she goes looking for public access training. It's not going to end well, as we all know, because the dog is unlikely to have the confidence and steadiness it needs to function in public. I suspect that we would see a lot of the outcomes that Kirsten warns newcomers about: they will develop a dependence on the dog, the dog will not function properly in public, the right of access will be stripped (in our hypothetical case by revocation of the license) and the effect on the PWD will be devastating. You all know the reasons that I stand back and view this with a jaundiced eye.  My dog and I have been attacked by dogs handled by people who would be the first in line to get an ESD license for their dogs. Those tough-guy veterans with anger management problems (I've known and cared deeply for 2 of them; I'm not being snarky) are going to get licenses for Cujo.  They will be very sorry after Cujo takes the face off a child.  They will sob that they never saw it coming.

2.   I think we should not compare ESDs to SDs even in an effort to be complimentary. They are different in every way except that they are both dogs. 
Good to hear from you again! I'm glad that it went well!
Hey all! I meant to post here a while back, but got caught up with the holidays and getting back to school. I just wanted to really thank everyone for their advice. It made the whole experience much less stressful than it otherwise would have been. You all are amazing! And Stella did really well, she was calm and quiet the entire time. The woman next to me actually didn't even realize she was there until the lights came up for deplaning. I was so proud of her! So, sorry for resurrecting an old post, but I wanted to make sure I thanked you all for the wonderful advice and help!
« Last post by Moonsong on Yesterday at 09:01:21 AM »
1. No, it does not fall under the ADA. It says quite clearly that if the emotional support is not a task, and a dog must be task trained. If she had other legitimate tasks, then it would be a lovely bonus that is clearly immensely helpful.

2. I think it should, IF, there is a national training standard put into place. ESAs are no lesser than SDs, and this women is a great example of that.

Edit to add: I posted without looking at following posts (because I tend to accidentally change my answer), and just read Caitlin's post. She said it extremely well, and I'm glad that she mentioned the bit about the expectation to use the tasks. That is also important to a service dog.
« Last post by ccunnin3 on Yesterday at 06:46:28 AM »
So here's the question for y'all.  Entirely hypothetical because my train of thought was inspired by this article, but I'm well beyond talking about the article and thinking "what if" about my train of thought.  What if we had a situation like number 2 where the person was having non-epileptic seizures or panic attacks or some other clearly physical response to anxiety and because of emotional support from the dog alone, the person is no longer experiencing those episodes.  Assuming that, two questions:  (1) does that fall within the intent of the ADA (2) should it (ie is it in the hypothetical PWD's best interests to carry on with this solution)?

No, I don't think this would be a service dog. It isn't performing tasks (even if it knows them, there is no expectation to use them). I know plenty of people who's panic attacks are severely curbed by the dog's presence. It's still emotional support. Do I think this is Saneist, wrong, and against the actual spirit of the ADA? Yes, I do. But that's the way the ADA is currently understood by the DOJ.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10