Twitter Facebook

Author Topic: Will my apartment allow an ESA?  (Read 1565 times)

Offline AsthmaticHummingbird

• With us since: 21/02/2012
    YearsYears
    • Awards
  • Mood: Okay
  • SDC interest: waiting
Will my apartment allow an ESA?
« on: February 21, 2012, 07:33:14 PM »
Hello!
I've been diagnosed with depression, and am looking to get an ESA. My depression is considered, at this point, debilitating. I am rarely able to stay at work for my entire shift, or wind up sobbing uncontrollably through my work day. It is very difficult for me to do normal tasks, such as cleaning and cooking, and I sleep far too often. From what I've read, this is a requirement as far as getting a ESA goes.

So, here is my issue... I have three ferrets. When I moved into this complex I informed them of the fact that I had three ferrets, and they said it was fine. No additional paperwork or deposit was required. I asked them recently about getting a dog, and was told that there was a *two* animal limit. They did not say I need to get rid of one of my ferrets, but they did say I am not allowed any more animals.

That's where an ESA would come in. What all is required for an ESA to be allowed in a "pet restriction" apartment. (They DO allow dogs, the only issue is the amount of animals. I would pay the extra deposit, if I needed to.) I know I need a letter from my therapist, which I can get. Because of the amount of animals, are they allowed to refuse me an ESA? Would I have to get rid of my ferrets? (Which I refuse to do.)

I live in Nebraska, for reference. Thank you!

Offline Roxie

• Official Cheermudgeon!
  • Resilient, Strong, Compassionate
  • With us since: 21/01/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • Awards
  • Mood: Happy
  • SDC interest: SD partner
Re: Will my apartment allow an ESA?
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2012, 08:12:35 PM »
Sanitized

Hey Husker! Welcome.

Lincoln here.

Who ever said Diamonds are a girl's best friend, never owned a dog! My therapist has 4 paws & a wagging tail! The Dog is God of frolic & joy! You can always find Hope in a dog's eyes. K-9 Wisdom: play daily, take naps, dig life, be joyful & gleeful! A dog changes your whole life! A dog = happiness!

YearsYears
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2012, 08:17:23 PM »
Small internet!

Offline Kirsten

• Administrator
  • Kirsten and Tardis
  • With us since: 08/01/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • Awards
  • SDC interest: owner-trainer
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2012, 08:17:48 PM »
Why can't the ferrets be emotional support animals?  An ESA is just a pet belonging to a person with severe (disabling) mental illness.  It doesn't have to be a dog.  Some people have ESA birds or fish or lizards.  The whole reason for designating an animal as an ESA is so it can be allowed someplace where pets aren't allowed, specifically either in "no pets" housing or on commercial aircraft.

You'd need a compelling reason why you need the ferrets AND the dog when either alone would qualify as an emotional support animal (pet).
Kirsten and Tardis
with Luna and Ruby
In loving memory of Cole (1/11/99 - 6/26/12)  He gave me back my life.

"The one absolute, unselfish friend that man can have in this selfish world -- the one that never proves ungrateful or treacherous -- is his dog." -George G. Vest

YearsYears
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2012, 08:20:53 PM »
I love my ferrets, but they do not help with my depression in the slightest. Ferrets don't have the loyalty and unconditional love that dogs have. I also believe the need to walk a dog regularly, and give her exercise, will be a great help.
My ferrets don't require that, and I can't take them for walks because they hate to go outdoors.

YearsYears
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2012, 08:22:44 PM »
Also the training, that's a good reason as well. Having a reason to go outside, and for something that relies on me. My ferrets don't really require me other than to feed them, and let them out of their cage a few hours a day.

Offline Kirsten

• Administrator
  • Kirsten and Tardis
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2012, 08:24:04 PM »
Backing up here, because I'm still a little confused about the ferrets.

You mentioned work being an issue.  If you are assuming you can take an ESA to work, you can't, unless your boss allows it (but then we're back to what's wrong with the ferrets).  There are only two places where they are allowed beyond where regular pets are allowed (as mentioned:  "no pets" housing, and commercial aircraft).  No one with an ESA has a right to take it grocery shopping, to restaurants, etc. because an ESA is not a service animal.  It typically takes 18-24 months of training from an experienced trainer to produce a service dog.  An ESA doesn't require any special training because it's basically a prescription pet.  Very important to their owners, definitely, but different from a service dog.
Kirsten and Tardis
with Luna and Ruby

"The one absolute, unselfish friend that man can have in this selfish world -- the one that never proves ungrateful or treacherous -- is his dog." -George G. Vest

Offline Kirsten

• Administrator
  • Kirsten and Tardis
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2012, 08:26:10 PM »
Then yeah, it sounds like you have to choose between the ferrets and the dog.  There has to be a limit somewhere or you'd wind up with animal hoarders (who are also mentally ill).  And one pet per person is generally considered sufficient when it comes to emotional support.
Kirsten and Tardis
with Luna and Ruby

Information at this site is provided solely for the user's information and, while thought to be accurate, is provided strictly "as is" and without warranty of any kind. It is not intended to be used as a substitute for legal counsel from a qualified attorney. Service Dog Central, its agents, affiliates, employees or contractors will not be liable to you for any damages, direct or indirect, or lost profits arising out of your use of information provided at this site, or information provided at any other site that can be accessed from this site.