Twitter Facebook

Author Topic: cedar and cats  (Read 3523 times)

Offline Cera

• Old Timer
  • Life is like a bag of...
  • With us since: 07/05/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • Awards
  • Mood: Excited
  • SDC interest: SD partner
cedar and cats
« on: June 17, 2011, 01:53:09 PM »
My cat has declared these cedar balls her new favorite play toy.

http://www.acehardware.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3678382&CAWELAID=360567546

She batts them about carries them around, puts them in awkward places to complicate the hunt.

I have been searching for a definitive answer. Is cedar toxic to cats or is it not? I don't want to allow her to play with poison, but I also don't want to deny her due to an old wives tale.
A Story of Hope: http://blog.workndog.org/hopesclan/

Hope can never be lost... only found...

Offline Kirsten

• Administrator
  • Kirsten and Tardis
  • With us since: 08/01/2006
    • Awards
  • Mood: Okay
  • SDC interest: owner-trainer
Re: cedar and cats
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2011, 03:47:34 PM »
This would be the ultimate authority:  http://www.aspca.org/pet-care/ask-the-expert/ask-the-expert-poison-control/

See also http://www.aspca.org/Pet-care/poison-control/plant-list-cats.aspx
I had difficulty reading this list. I thought I saw white cedar mentioned, but couldn't find it again to see which list it was on. I didn't see red cedar, which is what is used for moth repellent. They did say elsewhere on the site not to use cedar in bird cages.

If you don't get a satisfactory answer, I do have an alternative. Cats love nuts still in the shell. Pecans appear to be a favorite. Every year around the holidays my mom gets a bag of assorted nuts and puts them in a bowl on the coffee table. Filberts and pecans are the first to go, and may be found secreted around the house for months afterward.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2011, 03:52:33 PM by Kirsten »
Kirsten and Tardis
with Luna and Ruby
In loving memory of Cole (1/11/99 - 6/26/12)  He gave me back my life.

"The one absolute, unselfish friend that man can have in this selfish world -- the one that never proves ungrateful or treacherous -- is his dog." -George G. Vest

Offline Cera

• Old Timer
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2011, 11:59:37 PM »
I've searched the list and can't find cedar, red cedar, or western red cedar on either list as an issue for cats.
Also online I've found pages of red cedar cat condo's and scratching posts, but no warnings against these condo's.
So I think I will let her play with her little balls... just not at 4am using them like one of those arcade games where the ball bounces around in my sewing closet.

I might just buy her some pecans for her stocking this holiday season  :biggrin:

Offline FrostedAcres

• Old Timer
  • With us since: 28/03/2006
    • Awards
  • Mood: Evil
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2011, 05:57:22 AM »
Wood that emits a strong scent has been an issue for animals that are kept in close confinement to them-- in other words-- caged animals like rabbits, birds and rodents. Cedar emits more volatile/noxious fumes than plain pine shavings. Bear in  mind, Turpentine is made from Pine sap-- Any toys/objects made from cedar or pine are usually going to be safe-- the wood is dried, and then, as an added protection, as the item ages, it actually develops a 'seal'-- that is why cedar lined closets and cedar chests must be sanded periodically-- to open up  new scent containing wood to the air.
Terry- I don't march to the beat of a different drummer. I AM the drummer.

Offline Cera

• Old Timer
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2011, 09:27:49 AM »
Fascinating. Thanks for the education.

Offline blkpanther0001

• Old Timer
  • Have A Tail Wagging Day
  • With us since: 01/05/2006
    • Awards
  • Mood: Tired
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2011, 10:01:52 AM »
Wood that emits a strong scent has been an issue for animals that are kept in close confinement to them-- in other words-- caged animals like rabbits, birds and rodents. Cedar emits more volatile/noxious fumes than plain pine shavings.

Also along this line, when something/someone pees on cedar it turns real acidy and burns their feet, no matter what type of animal is kept on it. so it is not a good bedding for animals that pee in their cages.

but it does great bug repellent added to dogs bed a couple handfuls, and i love my dogs smelling like fresh cedar.
Sonya, Kali and Neiko, Moulin and Pheonix

Information at this site is provided solely for the user's information and, while thought to be accurate, is provided strictly "as is" and without warranty of any kind. It is not intended to be used as a substitute for legal counsel from a qualified attorney. Service Dog Central, its agents, affiliates, employees or contractors will not be liable to you for any damages, direct or indirect, or lost profits arising out of your use of information provided at this site, or information provided at any other site that can be accessed from this site.
cesarmillan