Twitter Facebook

Author Topic: No-pet condo means no pets  (Read 721 times)

Offline responsiblek9

• With us since: 23/03/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • Awards
  • Mood: Okay
  • SDC interest: SD partner
No-pet condo means no pets
« on: March 07, 2011, 01:16:17 AM »
No-pet condo means no pets
http://www.stltoday.com/lifestyles/pets/columns/dr-fox/article_f8a03b74-6ea6-551f-9bf3-fe924a605161.html
STLtoday.com - ‎Mar 5, 2011‎
Regardless of laws (which can be a poor substitute for ethical and compassionate behavior), companion animals are family members and, as such, have rights quite different from the rights of a person needing an animal because of a disability. ...
A thousand miles you walked with me ,
 Through the fields and streams
  Down many a lonely place, On darkened  paths and streets

Offline fledchen

• Budgie Wrangler
  • squeak! chirp!
  • With us since: 23/03/2006
    • Awards
  • Mood: Dazed
  • SDC interest: curious
Re: No-pet condo means no pets
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2011, 02:41:54 PM »
I'm confused about which law applies here. Since we're talking about condos (apartments that are owned by the people living in them, rather than rented from a landlord who owns the apartment) does the FHAA apply? Is the FHAA only applicable to rentals or to owned housing as well, like condos or freestanding houses in neighborhoods with homeowners' associations and restrictive covenants?
:betsy:
:budgie: :bat:

Offline cowlypso

• Old Timer
  • With us since: 26/03/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • Awards
  • Mood: Bored
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2011, 02:49:14 PM »
I have no idea which law would apply.  I never had any problems with my condo association.  The pet policy there was no more than 3 pets per unit, and no dogs over 50 pounds.  At the time I got Bear, I already had 3 cats.  I just wrote them a letter asking for a reasonable accommodation to allow the extra (and over-sized) animal.  They had no problem with my request.  It probably helped that pets are allowed there, and that there are still some over-sized dogs in the complex that were grandfathered in when the size restrictions went in place. 

Offline FrostedAcres

• Old Timer
  • With us since: 28/03/2006
    • Awards
  • Mood: Evil
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2011, 04:52:53 PM »
Condo associations  set the rules- one of the reasons my parents sold their condo-- the rules and fees change every year..I would think any time you have  Homeowners association that there is a blend of private ownership(inside the unit) and 'business/landlord' regulations (outside, common areas)
 But did you notice he stated that 'family companions'  have DIFFERENT RIGHTS than Service Animals? What is it that gets stressed-- the PERSON has the rights, not the animal...
Terry- I don't march to the beat of a different drummer. I AM the drummer.

Offline Kirsten

• Administrator
  • Kirsten and Tardis
  • With us since: 08/01/2006
    • Awards
  • Mood: Okay
  • SDC interest: owner-trainer
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2011, 05:31:06 PM »
The FHAA applies, just as it applies to sales and rentals of housing.  Basically, when one entity exerts influence over how another uses their own home (rented or owned) within the law, then the FHAA is going to tend to apply.  Unless somehow the condo is run by a church or on certain kinds of Native American property, military owned property, etc.

There are some cases on the front end of the site that involve condo associations.  They're treated the same, more or less, as landlords.
Kirsten and Tardis
with Luna and Ruby
In loving memory of Cole (1/11/99 - 6/26/12)  He gave me back my life.

"The one absolute, unselfish friend that man can have in this selfish world -- the one that never proves ungrateful or treacherous -- is his dog." -George G. Vest

Information at this site is provided solely for the user's information and, while thought to be accurate, is provided strictly "as is" and without warranty of any kind. It is not intended to be used as a substitute for legal counsel from a qualified attorney. Service Dog Central, its agents, affiliates, employees or contractors will not be liable to you for any damages, direct or indirect, or lost profits arising out of your use of information provided at this site, or information provided at any other site that can be accessed from this site.
cesarmillan